Sunday, January 27, 2013

Laneway Festival 2013 Singapore

I have never been to a music festival and despite the fact that I was in my late thirties, I thought it would be a cool new thing to do for the first time. But being newbies to this sort of thing, I and my companions fell victim to some rookie mistakes. We remembered to come in comfortable clothing and wore tank tops/shirts and shorts, and my husband and I even remembered to put on sunblock (SPF 50+ for kids, since we ran out of adult sunscreen) but left the sunblock behind and forgot caps and sunglasses which would have been helpful on a particularly scorching hot day. My husband at one point told me, 'If this is what hell feels like, then I promise to be good from now on'. Yup. We literally baked under the sun for four hours. When we got home and I took a shower, I nearly screamed in pain - it felt so good and so bad at the same time. 

But was it worth it? Well, any new experience has its share of good and bad. I loved listening to bands I have never heard of - Of Monsters and Men, Kimbra and Alt-J were my favorites; loved the feeling of being out under the open sky listening to music with hundreds of other people; people-watching (there were quite a number of girls in bikinis and short shorts and quite a number of shirtless guys as well, there were people who came in costume, people in face paint and those who just wore funny hats). What I didn't like - the endless queues, especially around dinner when the kebab queue just went on forever. I think there was still a bit of light when I started to queue and it was pitch-dark when I got my kebabs. Oh and don't even get me started on the people who tried to cut in line either by sneakily worming themselves into the queue or asking other people if they could jump in line beside them (go to the end of the line! the nerve). 

But when the sun did set and it was dark all around and you could see the lights from Marina Bay Sands and the Singapore Flyer in the distance, and with the band playing, well, that scene was pretty awesome and worth it.  

However, when we did get home, I just had enough energy left to put my daughter to bed though between the two of us, I honestly don't know who fell asleep first. And I was so knackered I woke up at noon the next day. But, that's done and I've gotten that off my list. Now, what else to add to my to do list for 2013?


No comments:

Post a Comment